Rishta believes that healthy eating is the key to a healthy lifestyle. One of its healthy food products is besan. So what are the health benefits of gram flour popularly known in India as Besan-
1. Lowering of Cholesterol: Gram flour is known to contain healthy unsaturated fats which lowers the cholesterol level of the human body.
2. Helps in Controlling Diabetes: Due to its low glycaemic index, it is considered to be a great food for those suffering from diabetes. It can be used as an alternative to flour in rotis & paranthas. Glycemic index of chickpea is only 10.
3. Improvement in health of the heart: Besan has high soluble fiber content. This is thought to be beneficial for the health of the heart.
4. Safe alternative for Gluten: As besan does not contain any gluten, it is a perfect substitute to wheat, as well as, other gluten containing grains, for people who are allergic to gluten.
5. Removes iron deficiency: As besan is known to be rich in iron, consumption of besan on a daily basis can help your body recover from iron deficient dieses like anaemia.
6. Helpful in pregnancy: Gram flour is considered to be rich in folate, a vitamin which takes care of the foetus’ brain and spinal cord development. So it ensures a healthy well developed human baby.
7. Helps overcome fatigue: Gram flour is an excellent source of the vitamin Thiamin. This is known to help the body in converting food into energy.
8. Regulates the mood and appetite: Besan is known to be rich in vitamin B6. Vitamin B6 is an extremely important component, which is involved in the synthesis of the neurotransmitter serotonin. Serotonin plays a crucial role in mood, as well as, appetite regulation.
9. Regulation of the blood pressure: The high amount of magnesium content of besan helps in maintaining the vascular health of human body, as well as, in the regulation of blood pressure.
10. Strengthens of bones: The phosphorous present in gram flour combines with calcium in the human body, which helps in the formation of bones.