Gram flour (Besan) Nutrition Facts You May Not Know
Besan, also known as gram flour or chickpea flour, whose nutrition level is a very high and thus a very common Indian cooking ingredient. We can make various types of dishes like sev, bonda, dhokla, chakli etc with the help of besan.
Gram Flour is rich in protein, carbohydrate, fiber, iron, potassium, manganese, copper, zinc, phosphorus, magnesium, folate, vitamin B6 and thiamine. Besan is also useful if you’re trying to lose weight as Besan has lesser calories than whole wheat flour. The absence of the gluten also makes besan a healthier choice.
A complete guide on gram flour or chickpea flour nutrition
- About 350 calories we can found in a cup of chickpea flour. Carbohydrate is the main source of calories. Ten grams of carbs come from fiber, ten grams come from sugar and the remaining carbohydrate is starch.
- Gram flour contains different types of fats. Chickpea flour contains six total grams of fat. Out of 6 gram of fat, 2. 7 gram fat is polyunsaturated fat, about a gram, are monounsaturated fat and less that one gram is saturated fat.
- Chickpea flour is rich in protein. One cup of besan has over 20 grams of protein, making it a smart choice if you are trying to increase your protein intake, or if you’re trying to lose weight.
- Flour made from chickpea can help you increase your intake of certain vitamins and minerals. Besan has more than 4 mg of iron, 150 mg of magnesium, over 2.5 gms zinc, 1.6 mgs of niacin, and 400 micro-grams of folate.
- Gram flour is considered to be the super food for diabetic people. Besan has a low glycemic index and high soluble fiber that helps to manage diabetes. Consuming besan during weight loss is a good idea. Bone-strengthening too can be achieved when you consume besan flour.
- Besan helps to avert hunger and controls cravings because they contain protein that is slow to digest.
- To maintain the blood cholesterol level of the body, you should add besan to your diet where ever you can.
- Besan also helps in pregnancy. Chickpeas also contain choline that is essential for brain and nerve developments and also very essential to meet the growing needs of the unborn baby.
Besan or gram flour helps in overall body functioning and the development of the human body. So incorporating Rishta besan flour in every day’s diet will help you get that extra nutrition and sustain a healthy life. Here are few healthy options you can opt for: Chilla, Dhokla, Kadhi, Ladoo, besan ki sabji and more.
Stay healthy, be happy 🙂 !